Whether it’s the Prime Minister or the President, luxurious residences, trained bodyguards, armored luxury cars and free international travels are a number of the perks that come with the top political positions of India.
International travel is one such perk that has been doing rounds in media since PM Modi came into power. However there’s plenty to know about the jets that create it a desirable affair. Apart from the 3 Boeing Business Jets, Rajdoot, Rajhans and Rajkamal for carrying the VVIPs to domestic and nearby countries. There’s the Air India One – used for overseas travel.
Here are some interesting facts about the Air India One, the carrier of our nation’s supreme leaders:
12 Interesting Facts About The Air India One :-
- Air India was originally Tata Airlines in 1932, after which a majority of it bought over by the govt in world war 2.
- Alright, i know you doubt me after I tell you that Air India wont to be the ultimate epitome of luxury air travel. But, so much so that in 1967 they even commissioned the world famous surrealist artist Salvador Dali, to design an ashtray for them. Yes you scan it right, they made Salvador Dali design an ashtray for them which got away as gifts to some of Air India’s first-class passengers.
- Can you believe it? When a VVIP flight is schedule , an craft literally goes through a transformation; It’s pulled out of commercial operation and fitted with VVIP configuration that includes a suite, lounge, bedroom, 6-seater office, satellite phones, etc.
- The late Rajiv Gandhi was an expert pilot associated with the Air India back in the day.
- I’m sure you remember the recent Bollywood blockbuster Airlift starring Akshay Kumar. Air India is mention in the the Guinness Book of World Records for the most people evacuated by a civil airliner as a results of this effort. The operation carried out during the Persian Gulf War in 1990 to evacuate Indian expatriates from Kuwait and Iraq.
- Whereas we associate Air India with distrust and delays. The brand Trust Report 2015 did name it as India’s most trusted airline.
- Air India has got to be paving the path correctly for Narendra Modi and Pranab Mukherjee to hop on the wagon. Air India One (Flight no. AI 1, always) is a Boeing 747-400 aircraft used to carry the President, the PM and vice president of India Overseas.
- At first carrying air mail from Karachi to Mumbai, and later continued to Madras. Its originally operated with one engine.
- Air India garnered the first only jet fleet in the world, a lot of before any of its competitors did.
- Air India One (Flight no. AI 1, always) is a Boeing 747-400 aircraft used to carry the President, the PM of India Overseas.
- Currently, Air India has five of those aircrafts that are deployed to hold regular passengers, if not in use for the VVIP flights.
- The aircraft operated by the Indian Air Force from Palam Air Force Station, New Delhi.
Air travel has become an integral part of our lives today. Even if it’s for the shortest distances, traveling on an aerodynamically crafted aluminum vessel seems like the most feasible choice. India’s come a long more than the past few years in terms of air travel. But like with everything else, you’re sure to learn one thing interesting. Even if it’s about traveling higher than the clouds.