The icy expanse of Antarctica covers over 5.4 million sq. miles, creating it the fifth-largest continent within the world. It’s situated nearly entirely within the Arctic Circle, which means that temperatures are consistently below zero the majority of the year. Such conditions make life relatively sparse compared to different regions within the world. However the animals that do occupy this frosty landscape are well adapted to handle the incredibly harsh conditions seen regularly by the explorers and scientists stationed there. Whereas the landscape may seem somewhat desolate to the untrained observer, it’s really one of the most attention-grabbing places on Earth. Here are some interesting facts about Antarctica.
25 Interesting Facts About Antarctica:-
- Antarctica is that the largest desert within the world.
- Antarctica is that the only continent without reptiles.
- The coldest place on Earth could be a high ridge in Antarctica wherever temperatures will dip below -133°F (-93.2°C).
- Some parts of Antarctic continent have had no rain or snow for the last 2 million years.
- There’s a waterfall in Antarctica that runs red.
- Antarctica has just one ATM.
- 90th of the world’s fresh water is in Antarctica.
- You can not work in Antarctic continent unless you have had your wisdom teeth and appendix removed.
- There are no polar bears in Antarctica (only in the Arctic), but there are lots penguins.
- Antarctica is the solely continent without a time zone.
- Antarctica is that the coldest, windiest, highest, and driest continent on Earth.
- Ice melting in Antarctica has caused a small shift in gravity within the region.
- Chile has a civilian city in continent, hence with a school, hospital, hostel, post office, Internet, TV and mobile phone coverage.
- The ice sheet of continent has been in existence for at least 40 million years.
- There are 300 lakes beneath Antarctica that are unbroken from freezing by the heat of Earth’s core.
- The highest temperature ever recorded in continent is 58.2°F (14.5°C).
- Mount Erebus is that the southernmost active volcano on Earth is in Antarctic continent. It spews crystals.
- Antarctica was once as warm as modern-day California.
- There are at least seven Christian churches in Antarctica.
- A scientist in continent got a date through tinder with a lady camping simply 45 minutes away.
- Most of Antarctica is roofed in ice: but 1% is permanently ice-free.
- The biggest iceberg ever measured is larger than Jamaica: 11,000 sq km (4,200 sq mi). It broke away from Antarctica in 2000.
- The average thickness of ice in continent is about 1 mile (1.6 km).
- In 1977, Argentina sent a pregnant mother to continent in an effort to claim a portion of the continent. Hence the boy became the first human known to be born in Antarctica.
- Winds in some places of continent will reach 200 mph (320 km/h).
Even till date Antarctic continent is a mystery to everybody. It’s the coldest, windiest, driest continent on the world, and researchers are still discovering several of its secrets.
Want to go Antarctic continent along with your friend……