<p style=”text-align: justify;”>Table tennis, also called ping Pong, is sport in which 2 or four players hit a light-weight ball back and forth across a table using a tiny bat. The sport takes place on a tough table divided by a net. Apart from the initial serve, the rules are usually as follows: players should allow a ball played toward them to bounce just once on their side of the table, and should return it. So it bounces on the alternative side at least once. A point is scored if a player fails to return the ball within the rules. Play is quick and demands fast reactions. Spinning the ball alters its trajectory and limits an opponent’s choices, giving the hitter an excellent advantage.
13 Facts about Table Tennis
- Table Tennis was prohibited within the Soviet Union from the year 1930 to the year 1950. The Reason given by the Soviet authorities was that the sport of Table Tennis is harmful to the eyes.
- In 1998, Table Tennis was 1st included in Olympics during Seoul Olympics.
- In the earlier years, the rackets, or paddles were made of cardboard, wood or cork that were coated by a cloth. Sandpaper or animal skin.
- Among the sports in which a racket is used, Table Tennis stands second position all over the planet, in terms of popularity.
- Approximately 10 million players play in numerous official tournaments played every year.
- After the rules were modified in the year 2000, shortly after the Sydney Olympics. It’s been observed that a standard Table tennis game lasts for about 30 minutes on an average.
- Top Table tennis players of the world usually smash the ball at the speed that exceeds the speed of over 100 mph.
- In a game played in year 1993, Jackie Bellinger and Lisa Lomas hit the Table tennis ball back and forth for 173 times in one minute, that is record.
South Korea, China and Sweden
- South Korea, China and Sweden, have established them as powerhouses of Table tennis.
- The other name of Table tennis., ‘ping pong’ was originally patented by the Parker Brothers. However now it’s owned by the Escalade Sports.
- Till the changes happened in 2000, the sport of Table tennis was played for 21 points, now it’s reduced to 11 points.
- In 1971, when China had no diplomatic relations with USA, the United States Table tennis delegation visited China. That was termed as ‘Ping Pong Diplomacy’ by the United States newspapers and media generally.
- Foam rubber rackets were introduced by Japan Since in year 1952.
Over 140 countries are attached with ITTF (International Table tennis. Federation). There are total 350 ITTF ranked Table tennis. tournaments organized across the world in a year. It’s indeed a good sport to be played.
Whats your opinion about Table Tennis?